Wednesday 25 April 2007

Maps, The Strange Death of Liberal England, Caribou, Ulrich Schnauss & Sonic Cathedral DJ's.. How's That for a Line Up?


So much happening down here! What I feel I must explain in this little edition is the sheer amount of what's going on in the music department and everywhere else in this contemporary outlet.. My diary can't nearly afford me to see everything that's going on down here, and there have already been things like last Saturday's psychedelic 'Our Technicolor Dream' that I have had to miss. Gutting. It would be hard not to want to interview people and take pictures at 'a night of light shows, avantgarde theatre, Q and A's with the leading lights of the London Underground and a range of bands both old and new'. This weekend I won't be able to catch both parts of the 'ATH-LDN sonic voyage showcasing some of the most innovative musicians, sound artists, producers, performers & Djs working in Greece today'. Gutting again. Anyway, my point is simply this; even if you could easily deny yourself Psychedelia or a night with the most up to date European visuals and beats, or even if it's that you only like hot new bands thank you very much, there is a big chance that whatever it is you do like musically will come up at some stage in the not too distant future at the ICA; quality, variety and volume are seemingly, amazingly, intertwined.

Ok enough; enough of that. Let's talk about when I was there, at the Maps with Support night on Monday. The Maps gig was a chilled out, friendly affair with some quality musicians to please the crowds ears.. We were spoilt for DJ' s with Sonic Cathedral Dj's,
and Ulrich Schnauss on the decks in the bar,

and Canadian Caribou pumping out a very decent selection of records indeed on the main stage. This stuff was particularly up my alley so I felt very honored to wait for Strange Death and Maps with as classy an interlude soundtrack as this.

The Strange Death of Liberal England (yes it is a mouthful) provided an energetic, musical and epic sounding set that gave those smart enough to realise that often the best things happen in the warm up, a very happy half an hour. May I introduce you to the band...

On lead vocals, Adam Woolway,

Andrew Wright singing it OUT

Andrew Summerly with Will Charlton


Will,

Kelly Jones
Will and Adam in syncarama

Mr. John Earls on Planet Sound said that their eerie silent placards

are an odd move when the sounds they are making are so 'joyfully noisy'. I'd agree there are a few contradictions going on stage with this lot, changing of instruments, swapping of roles and all sorts of sound twists, but that is what gives this band their edge and charm and I like most things that make people think a little outside of the box. Maybe it will be ideas like these that will give them some staying power in what, as discussed with the band before the gig, can be a dog eat dog world in the sometimes fickle music industry..Here they are doing a little warm up singing before the gig...


All in all a group to keep and eye out for; now
signed to Fantastic Plastic Records they have already been playing 2000+venue gigs in Europe and there is talk of Reading, The Great Escape Festival, Brighton and all sorts else...Check out their myspace, http://www.myspace.com/tsdole

And then there was Maps..

Maps were a chilled crew, Jamie and other band members let me take pictures of them just moments before going on stage, I like that attitude..




Tongues out to you too Jamie...

This talented young songwriter/music producer
and his committed live band members Ben, Phil, Matt and Andy ,

played a slick set that gave the sold out audience what they wanted..

It felt as though I blinked and it was over with this music that you sort of melt into, but a good gig it was all the same..
I'm sure that ex-members Drew and Craig would have been proud of the boys on stage.. After chatting with these two about Craig's likeness to Jack Dee, Hello? One must agree...me being a sponge and various other particularly UN-muso things, (a girl should have SOME fun after all) I did talk a little business regarding Drew's role as visuals and video artist for the band these days...Judging by the graphics from the latest album cover,'We Can Create', he might just have the eye for artwork. Here is the man himself,
please check out his website www.redwhiteproductions.co.uk for news and information about the creative Drew and what he can do for you! I'm worried that I took down that website wrong so Drew, if you're reading this - let me know what's up with that please...
I would recommend you not to miss Ben, Phil, Matt and Andy with James at future gigs all posted on their myspace, www.myspace.com/mapsmusic..And I distinctly remember seeing them available on ITunes the last time I looked...

And to finish, the man that engineered the monday's soundz, the ICA's main man Rich..

Sorry honey I could not resist but to put this mischievous portrait in.. You were a crucial part of the evening after all. Big up the ICA technical crew! Salut!

No comments: